Thursday, February 7, 2013

Best of 2012: I Break Horses - Hearts

Even though it's everywhere, music is still an incredible mystery. What's new? What's good? What's going to keep me listening? If I get a lead on something, I'm still ready to investigate - and when it pans out, I find something as good as this I Break Horses record.

The two gateways were an intriguing Mojo review (although not a glowing one) and the fact that the record was released by the usually reliable Bella Union. Good start. I think I made it through half a song on Spotify before I went all in and bought it.

Hearts is a very electronic album, but it's hardly inorganic. Most songs build off a sequenced pulse which gradually is swallowed by waves of lush sounds and vocals. The throb of the beat is always there, but it's a distant signal by the time that songs hit their stride.

Winter Beats begins as technopop but ends up sounding like a homage to the sea of sound of Loveless.
Wired puts me in the mind of Stereolab's best marriages of French melody and German motorik rhythms (plus a couple of the 'Lab's classic breakdowns - a white noise section early on and a "wrong" sounding set of pitch downs to conclude.)

As for the majesty of mystery, I've realized that I still know almost nothing about I Break Horses, other than they are a duo and they are Swedish. I'm perfectly happy staying focused on the music instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment