Sunday, December 20, 2009

Triple Threat: Band, Song, and Album of the Decade - The Bees!

How good are The Bees (a.k.a. A Band Of Bees)? Well, Free The Bees (2005) is a bonafide Top 10 Album of the Decade, and almost every song on it is in contention for my Song List. On top of that, the whole vibe of the record is still blowing my mind.

I suppose the simplest thing would be to call Free The Bees a pastiche of Times Past... since it does project a Now That's What I Call The 60's kind of sound. Every track has a distinctive sound and mood that it's tapping into: Stax soul (Chicken Payback), Studio One reggae (The Russian), Small Faces/Kinks baroque pop (Go Karts - which is topping my shortlist of songs, but is sadly unblippable at the moment), etc. - but the album has a very cohesive feel to it.

Of course, I may be smitten by the fact that this band might be Rutle-izing every non-Beatles 60's genre, but it's still an excellent "greatest hits" wall to wall good-time party record with tons of hooks, big choruses, and a lot of awesome B-3 organ!

Free The Bees! (And thanks to Chris and Ron for the buzz and the honey.)

No comments:

Post a Comment