Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Latest: Idyll Intangible by Navvy

OK, where did this record come from? I can't honestly recall why I bought it, so it's got to be a Rough Trade or Artrocker recommendation. But thank god I did buy it, because I love it to death.

Navvy reminds me of the days when the original new wavers realized they could move some behinds by building their songs off a good groove and into an indie dance party. That doesn't mean drum machines and sequencers. It means you've got a rhythm section in lock-step, supporting some bouncy tunes. Think early Gang of Four or Au Pairs or Mo-dettes... or for something a bit more recent, think Dig Me Out era Sleater-Kinney or Bis.

Actually, this sounds like the second coming of Bis, now that I think of it. Shouty boy-girl vocals in a call-and-response mode, angular guitars playing off fat bass lines, and sloganeering lyrics... it's just a lot of fun. Plastic Bag is an awesome dance floor jam, in that Alternative Music Brigade kind of way. Sticker might be even better, with its updated Devo/Satisfaction vibe and wonky synth accents. (I'm still trying to nominate this as the official anthem of Schtickers!)

I'd like to thank whoever recommended this puppy to me, but since I can't figure out who that was, all I can do is do the same for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment