Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Albums Of The Year: The Besnard Lakes Are The Roaring Night

First off, I have to say I really don't like The Arcade Fire. They are so big and pompous and so militant in their hurdy-gurdy playing and anthemic in their choruses and it's just all a bit wearying to me.

So, why am I leading off a love note to The Besnard Lakes with a hissy-fit about the Arcadians? There's a lot of similarities... a husband-wife led band from Montreal writing and performing "Big Music" on an American indie label. But there's a greater warmth to me in The Besnard Lakes, even a playful sexiness that illuminates the epic nature of the music.

I was a fan of the previous album, The Besnard Lakes Are The Dark Horse (ah, yes, it's not like I promised no pomposity,) but the band fell off my radar over the last couple years. When I heard Albatross, the standout track from the new album, I immediately re-upped, though. Albatross sounds like Kim Deal fronting a My Bloody Valentine/High Llamas team-up (or maybe my pals Sixteen Deluxe working through a Beach Boys phase.) It's a definite lock in my Top Ten Songs Of 2010 list.

The rest of the album doesn't quite hit those heights, but there's a great sense of drama and tension throughout. Fortunately, the band understands how to throttle back and keep it small and appealing. Alternating male/female vocals and lush harmonies make a big difference here. Glass Printer is a great example of a wiggy guitar workout augmented by an indie chorale.

Oh, and just to be fair to The Arcade Fire... your name is significantly better than The Besnard Lakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment