Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Song Of The Year: "When The Sun Don't Shine" - Best Coast

"I just want to tell you that I always loved you." OK, not the most original sentiment, but when has a great pop song needed to be completely original? And face it, that's pure concentrated heartbreak right there.

I'm old and I'm jaded. I still love music but there are days when I've heard it all. And then there's a song like this. I had to pull my car over to make sure I could get the name of it on my phone. I don't remember the last time I had to stop what I was doing for a song... but I wish it was more often!

When The Sun Don't Shine was my introduction to Best Coast and I was hooked, even though I had to wait for the album to come out. (Another "when's the last time that happened" phenomenon!) Bethany Cosentino's vocals sound a lot like the young Neko Case but the overall vibe goes much further, like a Shirelles/Nuggets combo.

This plaintive gem is short and sweet. A handful of chords, just a few more words, and it's done - although it's not done with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment