Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tracks Of The Year: You See Everything by Low

Easily the most beautiful song to make my list this year, this is such a welcome return from the mighty Low.

I've stuck with them since the start but I haven't been excited about a Low record in almost 10 years. To their credit, they haven't been phoning it in but I've been less than thrilled about most of their new styles and sounds.

And yet, You See Everything (and the rest of the C'Mon album) aren't retreats to the original Low sound. If anything, there's a defrosting of the old Duluth chilliness that permeates the early records. But that doesn't mean that it's all sunshine and rainbows here.

You See Everything is an abstract take on relationships and tensions swaddled in a lush, warm blanket of acoustic guitars, brushed drums, and strings - and of course the honeyed voices of Mimi Parker and Alan Sparhawk. (Mimi takes the lead here, and I'm not going to lie and say I don't favor her selections. Her voice has become more subtly expressive over the years.)

The song builds slowly and by the the time the violins swoop and swirl, you've got to have a cold, cold heart to turn away here. Lovely.
You See Everything is featured on my Spotify playlist Marquee Mark's El Perfecto De 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment